The Position is very important and vital in Pharma Business, as this position owes the responsibility of being the eyes and nose of the organization.
After successful completion of the assignment as Area Manager, an aspirant can become Regional/Zonal sales manager, This is the 2nd Position in Field sales team management. Usually handles the operation of 1state with average team size varying from 20-50 Medical reps and 3-7 Area Managers.
Role & Responsibilities of Regional Sales Manager.
- Developing Team.
- Managing Performance.
- Building Culture to meet organizational needs.
- Developing a Strong Team of Area Managers and Medical Representatives.
- Coaching and Training Team Members.
- Minimizing Attrition. Preventing Talent Drain.
- Brand Building.
- Improving Execution Levels.
- Developing and Strengthening Customer Relations.
- Improvement of Productivity.
- Process Driven
- Value Driven
1. Developing Medical Representatives/ Field Force (Goal)
- This Job is to be essentially performed through Area Manager.
- Develop an Area manager, Enabling them to develop Medical Representatives.
- Analyze development needs during review meetings and Joint fieldwork.
- Closely monitor and watch Area Managers while with Medical reps at any event.
- Assign Tasks through Area Manager and Get feedback/Reports in a defined manner, This helps to develop both.
- Learn to appreciate.
- Replicate the success stories of other Team Members.
2. Developing Area Managers.(Role)
- Due to the paradigm shift in role, ASM struggles a lot with new Assignments. (Shift from Doer to getting Job Done). Ease this transition by properly explaining, defining, and Demonstrating new Roles & Responsibilities.
- Coach them on Analysing DCRs, Performance Parameters, and Fieldwork Parameters.
- Ensure 100% Execution of Strategies and Discipline Parameters.
- Coach them on their role during Joint fieldwork, Making Joint calls, and Reviewing Calls and Sales Presentations/Detailing.
3. Minimize Attrition.
Attrition is a Huge cost to the organization, Whatever time and resources are invested in team members are all wasted, Instead, a new competitor is created.
- Making good Professional Relations with Team Members
- A Good Role Clarity and Ownership of Responsibility Helps Performance and Prevent Undue Pressure.
- Develop their Capabilities to handle their Job Effectively.
- Rewarding and Acknowledging their achievements help to build strong bonds.
- Encourage Participation in Team Discussion.
- Conduct Small Team/Bond Building Activities.
- Taking Help of HR/Training/Support Functions to Build Team Cohesion
- Helping them to Sustin, Grow, and Earn.
1. Brand Building
- Focus on Productivity. PMPM
- Working with ASMs to develop an HQ-wise customized sales plan.
- Focus on Building Brands.
- Coaching/Training team members on effective communication to Achieve higher Dr. Conversion and Hence Performance.
- Problem-resolving skills to overcome hurdles in Performance.
- Driving Team to increase Prescriber Base i.e Number of Prescriber/HQ
- The number of Prescriptions/Prescribers.
- The number of Products/Prescribers.
- Evaluating and revalidation of Dr’s Brand Matrix.
- Improving Market availability of Products/Brands.
- Accurate Forecasting.
2. Execution Levels
- Promotional Plan
- Brand Positioning
- Input Utilization
- Use of References/Data
- Work Hygiene
- Sales Hygiene
- Ensure Robust execution
- Breakdown Plan into the Small Doable & Track-able Tasks
- Make detailed follow-up/Feedback Plans.
- Define Milestones/Evaluation Parameters within the time frame.
- Work backward from Objective
What to Review?
- Course Correction
When to Review
- Weekly Format/Discussion
- Monthly Meeting
- Feedback Schedule
How to Review?
- Evaluate achievements v/s Milestones Planned in a given time.
- Identify Gaps and Efforts Done/Needed to Fill the Gap
- Review Must be able to give Way Forward (Enabling) instead of Blaming for failures.
- Review to track performance and intervention, for course correction.
4. Build Strong Relationships
Focus on Building strong relationships with External as well as Internal Customers(Co-Workers)
- KOLs prefer to meet Senior Managers.
- KOL’s help overcomes competition.
- Having strong relations with a few KOLs in each H.Q. helps build the Brand and Company Image stronger.
- Care and Understand Dr’s, and pay in the Long run.
- Retailers & Stockists are equally important customers, Give them deserved attention.
5. Increase Productivity
- Focus on Dr. Brand Matrix.
- Improve Inclinic efficiency and coordination of Medical Rep and Area manager.
- Evaluate and coach team members on Input utilization and tracking ROI.
- Strategize Increase in Sales Volume by
- Increasing No of Regular Prescribers.
- Conversion of More No of KOL’s – Specific Pin Point Strategy
- No. of Brands Per Doctor
- No. of Prescription Per Doctor
- No. of Indications the Brand is Used.
- Retail Availability.
- Trade Leverage/Coverage
Remember Regional Manager/ZONAL MANAGER IS ROLE SHIFT FROM
Doer ——–> Thinker
Implementer ——–> Strategizer
Manager ——–> Mantrepreuner